Tuesday 8 August 2017

The day finally came...Cutting the apron strings.

The day finally came....The day where someone knocked at the door and asked "Does Ellie want to play out?"....Eek!


My girls have only ever played in the back yard with each other and the front street on their scooters....Last Monday the boy who Ellie walks home from school with knocked at our door asking if she could play out....I panicked and said come back in an hour. 

The boy is really sensible. He is like a little old man and I can't imagine him doing anything naughty. His sister who is a year and a half younger was also playing out....

As Ellie had never played out without her sister I needed to lay some ground rules....The usual no talking to strangers, come home every hour or so and for lunch, don't go too far and don't go into other peoples houses even if you think you know them....She was so excited waiting for her friend to come back.


Off she went and I was worried.....Cutting those apron strings is hard....She came back after a hour and asked to go to the park....I didn't feel comfortable with that. It's a little way away so I sent my teen Becky off with them....She had her mobile which made me feel a little more relaxed.

Lunchtime came and I had a great idea of making the girls a packed lunch. I'm glad I did. They had been back to the boy and girls house and their mother had packed them sandwiches too....lol 


They came here and were all set to eat them in the front street. I sent them into the back yard. At least there was the tables and chairs.....

They played all afternoon....Coming and going. They picked up more people they knew and in the end there was a few kids playing in our back street....It was lovely to see. It reminded me of when I was a kid during the summer holidays.....Only coming home for food and drinks.

The boy and girls mother did pop along to see if everything was OK. It turns out it was the first time she had let her kids out to play too.....She was feeling the same anxiety I was. lol

Since then they have played out several times. They have had a brilliant time and I have had a little time to myself which I was not expecting during the school holidays....


8 comments :

  1. I totally understand how you feel. I think that it's harder for the parents than the children in this situation! We have set ground rules too and make sure that our daughter always wears her watch. It seems that our house is the favourite stop for drinks and lollies which means my daughter comes back regularly!

    #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is harder for us as parents. lol
      Ahh! That is good that she comes back regularly. I bet it costs you a fortune in ice lollies though. hehehe Thank you x

      Delete
  2. Awwww so pleased it is a Sucess. At least on a bright note don't have deal with the constant I am bored mummy X #mmbc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard I am bored from her at all these holidays...It's given her a new focus in life. Thank you x

      Delete
  3. I remember that feeling well. It is so hard to let them do things like this on their own. It seems like she had a lovely time x
    #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to let them go it alone...She's been having a fab time. Thank you x

      Delete
  4. That is amazing! I remember the first time my eldest went and played round the village. I was a bit worried, but also happy because that's what we used to do! There aren't many kids in our village, so the only time my kids go out is when their friends come round. The other day my daughter walked to Sainsburys with two friends. It's three quarters of a mile away and there's a fairly busy road to cross. I was nervous, but I knew it was important to let them do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh time to yourself, I hope you did something nice with that time! Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofblog x

    ReplyDelete