Wednesday 3 May 2017

Walking home from school alone...

Ellie is in year 5 at school.....Last September a form was sent out for parents to sign.  A permission slip asking if she was allowed to walk to and from school alone.....I didn't sign it. She is the youngest in her year at school and had just turned 9. She just seemed too young. 

Last November there was an incident where two boys were pushing and shoving her. Who knows what would have happened if I wasn't there....I was all set for never letting her walk home alone....

Last week a letter was sent out about choir which she has been doing every Monday after school for about a year....There was also a permission slip with it about whether she could walk home from school after the choir lesson. I have signed it and said she can....Eek. Of course now I am regretting and worrying about it.....


When I think about it I shouldn't be worrying as much as I am. Ellie has matured a lot since last September. She scoots to school every morning and is always way ahead of me. She practically does it alone.

When I pick her up from school her little friend always walks with us. He is very sensible. He reminds me of a little old man, way wiser and older than he actually is. If there is any trouble at school he tells me about it even if Ellie forgets. He is in the choir too and they will be walking home together. (He lives in the next street up from us) I trust him to keep Ellie on the straight and narrow.....

When she finishes after choir the road outside of the school has quietened down and all the kids who may cause trouble for her are long gone.....

My fella and I have stressed to Ellie that this is a big responsibility and we are trusting her to show us she can be a little grown up....We have put rules in place that there will be no detours to the park, stick to the normal route we take, no talking to strangers and she has to use the crossing/green man on the main road.....

I do have a sort of back up plan....Usually when I pick Ellie up from choir Becky meets up with us on the way home....I have told her to keep an eye out for Ellie and her friend. hehehe

I know I am over thinking it....I remember being the same when Becky first walked home from school alone....She survived and was doing the walk alone. At least Ellie has her little friend with her....

This is just a once a week thing....She won't be walking home any other day alone.....I trust her. It's the other children who I don't trust. I keep having to remind my self in a year and a half Ellie will be walking to and from Secondary school without me.....Eek!

It will be a big achievement for her and I think it is for me too....Letting my baby go into the big wide world without me....


13 comments :

  1. Ah it's tough isn't it - My Harry is in yr 5 and often walks to/from school alone, esp when after school clubs are involved. Our school is around a mile away but there are no roads to cross. The thing that annoys me is he walks with his friends and they really take it slow! He's sometimes home 30 minutes later than he should be and seems to have no concept of time! LOL!

    I'm sure Ellie will be responsible and do you proud x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! If my girl is late I will be beside myself or out looking for her. lol
      Thank you x

      Delete
  2. Oh Kim, I'd be exactly the same! And although our girl's 7, the time will soon roll around when we're doing the same. We have to let them go a little at some point don't we?... (*trying to convince myself*)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I am still trying to convince myself that it is OK to let them go. Eek!
      Thank you x

      Delete
  3. I can imagine what a big step it is. It sounds like Ellie has a sensible friend she can walk with and I am sure she will be fine. I can completely understand you worrying about it though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a big thing for us...
      I think if she didn't have her friend I wouldn't be confident in letting her do the walk.
      Thank you x

      Delete
  4. I will be the same! My eldest is a few years off this yet, but I know I will over think it and panic, too, even though I'll trust her. I'm sure it'll all be OK x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! It will fly over. It didn't seem that long since Ellie started school. hehehe
      Thank you x

      Delete
  5. I just wrote a post and linked up to the Small Steps linky only to find that your post is very like my own. Hardly surprising really given that both children are at Year 5 I guess and we are starting to tackle independence issues as a parent. Coming home from choir with a friend sounds like the perfect introduction to me. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are just about reaching the point where I might have to think about letting go a bit, and frankly I want to install a tracking chip in my children... Good for you for giving it a go, though. We have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe! It is hard to let them go. Good luck x

      Delete
  7. That is a biggie isn't it, allowing that little bit of independence and then wondering "what if, what if?" She sounds like she has a good friend to walk with, helping them both gain confidence, will they be going to the same secondary school? Thanks for linking up with #SSAmazingAchievements

    ReplyDelete