Wednesday 18 January 2017

Life on the farm....

In October I took part in Blogtober16 writing a post every day with a prompt....I wrote a post about My favourite type of animal and it got me thinking about my childhood....I think I had a pretty awesome one and this is the first of a few posts I have to write about it and living on a farm.....I have so many stories to tell I can't fit them all in one post......hehehe


Before I was born my parents bought some land.....3 huge fields.....They had a dream of building a house and living in it with a family....They did!

Before we moved to the farm every Sunday as a child my mam would pack a huge picnic and we would go to the farm....It wasn't much of a farm then....More a building site with a few horses and ponies and the big shed....My dad had a milk round and half the people he employed were tradesmen of some sort.....Bricklayers, joiners, plasterers....They came in very handy building the house.....


When I was about 8 or 9 we moved into the farmhouse which was wasn't finished but fine to live in....Going from a small 3 bedroom terraced house in the center of a busy town to a 4 bedroom house in-between two tiny villages was such a big change but my brother and I loved it....We had the freedom to be outside all day....

When we moved in there were no carpets (which made it excellent for rollerskating), no kitchen units and no proper heating until we got the Aga stove installed which we used to cook toast on the top of....It was rough for the first few months but it was all part of the adventure....

There was also no electricity for about three years. There was some sort of dispute about who should supply it. I don't know. I was 9. lol.....The power was run on generators and was only switched on when it started to get dark.....It used to need refilling with petrol every couple of hours....My mam and dad had that job. Not much fun when it was blowing a gale or snowing....

We woke up in the morning to candle light.....Yes my parents let my brother and I loose with candles and we never burnt the house down....My dad ran a skip hire business and ended up finding a TV in one of the skips which ran off a car battery.....It was a Black and White one but who cares I could watch Saturday morning TV which was quite a novelty....lol 

I didn't feel deprived or hard done to....It was fun, an adventure....We were fed, warm enough, clothed, schooled and happy....Electricity is a luxury really.....lol Just don't ask me to go without it now....

I was in secondary school and came home one summers day and my mother was doing something which needed electricity....Watching TV or using the microwave.... Something like that....Something I wasn't used to seeing during the day....I didn't hear the generator and I just couldn't fathom what was going on...lol

I can't remember ever being bored while living on the farm....I have so many wonderful memories which I will be sharing with you over the next few weeks/months....

8 comments :

  1. What wonderful memories. I didn't live on a farm but other than no electricity that sounds like my childhood. I'm looking forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to grow up. #MMBC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous way to grow up. So interesting to read your memories of living in the farmhouse and relying on a generator. Will look forward to reading more of your stories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely memories. I bet it was great living on a farm. I would love to live on a farm now, Mollie the colie would love the freedom of being out the way of cars, she hates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful...
      We actually had a dog just like Mollie only ours was called Millie. hehehe

      Delete